The art on this website is generated by algorithms that endless variations on each theme.
For each theme, I create a Processing.js application to define the general layout, colour palette, and other components of a scene. I then introduce some serendipity by having the code subtly vary the details of the rendering based on a random seed between 1 and 1 billion.
After careful trial and error, my aim is to achieve a level of randomness that makes the results surprising and interesting, but still figurative and realistic.
Simplified versions of the code used to generate these artworks is on GitHub:
• GitHub Profile: garyesmith
• GitHub Repository: generative-artwork-skyline
• GitHub Repository: generative-artwork-moonscape
• GitHub Repository: generative-artwork-streetscape
• GitHub Repository: generative-artwork-treescape
I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada with my wife Josie. I have a Computer Science degree and I have worked at IBM and the CBC. Currently I am the lead developer at Vubble.
I also enjoy making traditional art, including paintings and ink drawings of places we've visited during our travels.